August Bank Holiday in North Wales
Fancy stretching your legs this Bank Holiday? The Challenge Hikers is organising a Bank Holiday Hiking Weekend in North Wales.
Llandudno is a coastal town in north Wales in Conwy County Boroughs located on the Creuddyn peninsula, which protrudes into the Irish Sea. Northwest of town, the cliffs of Great Orme headland jut into the sea. Ancient tunnels lead to a cavern at Great Orme Mines. A 1902 tramway has an upper and lower section and travels to the headland’s summit. To the east, smaller headland Little Orme is a nature reserve. The town is a purpose-built Victorian seaside resort developed by the Mostyn family in the late 1840s. In Victorian times it was fashionable to visit the seaside for fresh air. By 1858 the railway had been built and made it easier for visitors to get to Llandudno. Today people come to visit the town for its promenade, attractions such as the Great Orme and to walk in its spectacular countryside. Info: http://
Saturday 4 August
- Short walk around the Holyhead peninsula.
- Little Orme and Llandudno coastal walk exploring the seaside sights of Llandudno.
- Cable Car to the Summit.
- Dinner at the Seahorse Restaurant https://www.the-seahorse.co.uk/.
Sunday 5 August
- Sunday Hike. To soak up the natural splendour of the Orme the Sunday hiking is around the spectacular limestone headland is hard to beat. It combines stunning views of Liverpool Bay and the Menai Strait with close-up encounters with the indigenous flora and fauna, notably birdlife and rare butterflies. Afterward, we will catch the tram into Llandudno to reward yourself with some post-hiking tea and cake.
- Technical difficulty: Moderate
- Time: 4/5 hours
- Length 14 Km
- Ascent: 346m
Monday 6 August
- Kayaking session in the morning.
- In the afternoon bikes rental and visit the Conwy Castle.
Saturday 4 August 2018
Dublin (T2) – Holyhead (T5)
Departs Sat 04/08/2018 08:10 AM
Arrives Sat 04/08/2018 11:50 AM
1:28 PM Holyhead
2:38 PM Llandudno
Monday 6 August 2018
6:55 PM Llandudno Junction
7:40 PM Holyhead
Holyhead (T5) – Dublin (T2)
Departs Mon 06/08/2018 8:30 PM
Arrives Mon 06/08/2018 11:45 PM
- There are regular train services to Llandudno from Holyhead. For information about trains to Llandudno visit:
- There are regular ferry services to Holyhead from Dublin. For information about ferries to Holyhead visit: https://www.stenaline.ie/
www.bedandbreakfast.eu/ bed-and-breakfast/ llandudno/ audley-guest-house/3806284/
Facilitator: Maurizio Pittau
In collaboration with The Challenge Hikers